Young Adult Service Communities (YASC), is a program of our denomination, the United Church of Christ. Congregations participate in YASC by hosting a community of young adult interns (ages 21-35). These interns live in intentional community with other young adults who share a common commitment to mission and justice work, congregational service, spiritual growth, and personal discernment.
First Church, Simsbury, is excited to join the YASC network of churches to host three young adults for the 2017- 2018 program year!
From September 2017 through July 2018, three young adult interns will live at the church house at the upper end of the church parking lot. Each intern will be placed with a local nonprofit agency dedicated to mission work, justice advocacy, and collaborative action.
Interns will also become part of the First Church community, attending and participating in worship and or assisting with church school, and choosing two or three areas of focus in which to provide leadership within the life of the church. Interns will also work with the CT Conference of the United Church of Christ, attending workshops, conferences, and taking on a social justice project. Finally, young adult interns will spend time in reflection and discernment with a spiritual sojourner, exploring God’s call on their lives.
Interested Young Adults…
First Church is located in the heart of the Town of Simsbury Connecticut. Simsbury is a town rich with historical, agricultural, and industrial culture. Our close proximity to our state capitol, Hartford, allows for our partnering and mission, justice and advocacy work with both urban and rural agencies.
As part of YASC Simsbury, you will live in a full size home with your own private bedroom. The home is on church property within easy walking distance to downtown, where there is a grocery store, coffee shops, walking and biking paths, and more. Housing is paid for as part of the program. You will receive a stipend and health insurance as well. We at First Church are excited about the possibility of you joining us. Email Rev. Kev at firstname.lastname@example.org for more about YASC Simsbury or just go ahead and apply at this link.
Each intern will be placed with a different local nonprofit agency dedicated to mission work, justice advocacy, and collaborative action:
- Our Piece of the Pie
- Service Learning Project Coordinator and Community Liason Job Description
- Christian Activities Council
- The Village for Families and Children
- Positive Youth Development Worker 2017-2018 Village for Families and Children Description
Becoming part of the First Church family….
- interns will attend and participate in Sunday morning worship, church school and fellowship, attend weekly meetings, and provide written updates to the congregation.
- interns will also choose from the following areas and work with the approriate boards, committess and staff of First Church
- Environmental Justice
- Faith-Based Community Organizing
- Music Ministry
- Racial and Economic Justice
- Social Media Presence and Outreach
- Welcome and Hospitality
- Young Adult Leadership
- Youth Ministry
- View the full Congregational Role Description
Partnering with the Connecticut Conference of the United Church of Christ…
- interns will work with the CTUCC for approximately six hours per month.
- interns will work directly with staff in our CTUCC Racial, Economic, and Environmental Justice ministries.
- View the full CTUCC Role Description
Looking for more information?
Congregational Coordinator Job Position…
- To review the job description for the position of Congregational Coordinator please click here.